Over-The-Top Take-ups (OTT)
The OTT (Over-The-Top) family of take-up units is ideal for a range of materials from optical fiber and very fine gauge wires to heavy cables. They feature a traversing wire guide that steers the material back and forth onto the rotating spool to produce neatly wound reels that unwind without snags or tangles. The motions of the traverse and rotating spool are synchronized. They automatically maintain winding pitch even if the speed is changed. The pitch rate and spool width are easy to adjust and can be changed on the fly. Three standard sizes – Mini, Medium, and Max – are offered for spool diameters up to 36 inches weighing up to 300 pounds. Each unit has a clean look and is designed with operator safety in mind. No motors, clutches, belts, or chains are exposed. The traverse stroke can be sized to accommodate almost any width of spool.
The OTT is available in three different speed control styles:
- Constant RPM – Use this style for simple winding from a payoff or process that provides some back tension in the wire. The OTT turns the take-up spool at a constant rotational speed.
- Tension Controlled – Ideal for use with an extruder or any process that requires a take-up unit that automatically synchronizes with the output rate and maintains a desired tension in the material – even if the material flow stops. An adjustable electronic clutch is used to produce tension from a few grams to several pounds while winding.
- Constant Linear Speed – Ideal for pulling wire through an annealing furnace, coating applicator, or cleaning process. The linear speed is maintained precisely regardless of changes in the size of the take-up spool.
Please submit a Spooling Data Input Form for a recommendation that meets your needs.
- Electronic tension control, length tracking, linear speed readout, and wire break detection.
- All sizes are available with Left-to-Right or Right-to-Left material flow.
- The Mini and Medium sized versions are also available in modular stackable versions for multi-wire winding applications.
- WEIGHT 200 lbs