Moving Take-up Unit (MTU)
The spool on a Moving Take-up Unit (MTU) is carried by a traversing system as it rotates. As a result, the material travels in a straight line onto the spool. This design minimizes stress and twisting and is ideal for delicate flat wire or strip materials. The system also potentially produces a neater wind. Showmark offers the MTU-Mini, Medium, and Max for spools up to 30 inches in diameter, 15 inches wide and weighing up to 300 pounds. The systems shown includes a length counter/controller and an electronic slip clutch system for tension control. The Mini and Medium versions are also available with the CE-Mark option.
Typical features and specifications include:
- Traverse range: Adjustable from .6 – 8 inches
- Winding pitch: Adjustable from .014 – .140 inches
- Tension control range from a few ounces up to 10 pounds (open and closed-loop systems)
- A variety of shaft sizes or chucks for holding a wide range of spool sizes and mandrels
- Most systems include Universal Spool Adapters for mounting a variety of spool sizes without additional tooling
- Operating speed: 0–500rpm
- Power Input: 115 or 230VAC
This machine is ideal for delicate materials, flat wire, or ribbon wire because the product travels in a straight line directly onto the take-up spool. This machine has even been used for winding soft rubber tubing successfully. This minimizes twisting and produces a neater wind with less strain on the material.